A research and learning tool for sharing information and ideas. This is a private blog for students of Intermedia I with Nicole Pietrantoni.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

How we can create a new map for new territories



This Intermedia project affected the artist more than he thought. We were told to go bigger than we may be able to realize. I think I did that. You can see on the blog I created for this project: http://guiltyasdriven.blogspot.com/ how my ideas grew. Right now I am in the process of telling people about the blog to get comments and bring another level of interaction of public, art and artist.

At first, I thought I would just document how owners of registered vehicles in Cedar Rapids, Iowa were now guilty because of the implementation of civil penalty traffic cameras. The art would lie in the unknowing transformation of man. What I didn't see was there was something greater here.

The map is the setting or place where the events take place. We are all part of an inescapable map. This map tends to be static for us and we see it as it is, a series of frames we pass through.

If the perception of a registered car has been transformed into a brush of guilt that paints the city streets it travels black with guilt, then there is an opportunity to transform the map. Drivers can control the cars to essentially "black-out" areas upon the map or make areas even more important by not "blacking-out".

What could be created is a "new map" as art. A new map of the transformed world around us thanks to the imposition of traffic cameras!

--Cyprian Alexzander

No comments:

Post a Comment